Wednesday, September 3, 2008

At the movies

I hope everyone had a great, long weekend. Nothing extravagant to report here but it was nice to have some time off before work and school really kick in. It was quite hot in our area but otherwise uneventful.

One thing I have been able to do a bit of during the break was catch up on movies that we've had on the list to watch. So, I thought I'd talk about them here.

First up was a movie called Lucky You, starring Eric Bana and Drew Barrymore. The story is about a deadbeat poker player (Bana) living in Vegas who meets and falls for a starry eyed innocent girl (Barrymore) from California. Bana also has serious dad issues and is a complete gambling addict. At times, the movie seems sincere and keeps from getting too cliche. But, Barrymore plays the same character she's played in a million other romance movies, which is annoying. But the poker action is good and Robert Duvall is excellent in his role as Bana's father, a world class poker player. The final scenes at the World Series of Poker are a little silly and at the end of the movie, I was pretty disappointed. But, it wasn't the worst movie in the world, unlike some reviews of it I had read.

I also went to the theater to check out the new Ben Stiller movie Tropic Thunder, thanks to a free ticket I was able to land (thx!). This movie was everything I expected it to be, absolutely ridiculous but a whole heckuva lot of fun. Robert Downey Jr was great, Nick Nolte and Tom Cruise were brilliant in small roles and the fake previews at the beginning of the movie were low brow hilarity at it's best (worst?). I'm glad I saw this one and really could not beat the price!

Finally, this weekend I was able to catch up on Superbad, a movie I had heard a lot of great things about. I'm sure most readers have seen this movie - it was great! The story is of a couple of loser high school seniors and their escapades leading up to a party a few weeks before graduation. The cop roles played by Bill Hader (from SNL) and Seth Rogen (40 Yr Old Virgin, Knocked Up) were fantastic and McLovin is one of the best movie characters since Napoleon Dynamite. Highly recommended.

That's all for now!

Song lyric of the day "Yes/I love technology/but not as much as you" Kip from Napoleon Dynamite

Until next time.

Ace

No comments: