Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wedded bliss and a giant albino

A big congrats goes out to J & J on their recently committed nuptials. The wedding was quite spectacular, taking place in Chicago at a place called the Ivy Room. It was beautiful and very well put together. I don't know if the couple used a wedding planner but all of the details were well-attended to and everything was really quite nice. The happy couple is off to Fiji next week, enjoy!

Many very close friends from the area where I grew up were in attendance. I don't get to spend nearly as much time with those folks as I used to, so it was fun to get some quality time in. Much ridiculous activity ensued, including typical silly dancing (Q, the drop the keys move was a BIG hit with this crowd) and for many, far too much alcohol consumption. As usual, many plans were made for trips together that will likely never happen (although that Vegas junket sure sounds sweet!) and hopefully a reunion of sorts at Thanksgiving. That, of course, assumes that certain among us have recovered from this weekend's festivities by then, and you know who you are! In addition, I suspect that I will be posting at least one picture from the event shortly.

I mentioned that I'm reading Moby Dick for my class this fall. I wanted to post a very short excerpt demonstrating Melville's ability. This comes at the beginning of Chapter 37, p.182.

"Yonder, by the ever-brimming goblet's rim, the warm waves blush like wine. The gold brow plumbs the blue. The diver sun - slow dived from noon, - goes down; my soul mounts up! she wearies her endless hill."

Stunning descriptions, this really struck me for some reason.

Song lyric of the day "And the shadow of the day / will embrace the world in gray" Linkin Park

Until next time.

Ace

No comments: