Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to reality

Well, the second break of the summer from class has come and gone. It's amazing how quickly time has gone. #1 heads back to school starting tomorrow, #2 fires up next week and I start up this week as well. The nice rhythm the family has gotten into will now be thrown into chaos for the next couple weeks until we get into the new routine. We will be going in a lot of different directions though. Fortunately, #1 is entering first grade and will be in school all day, lessening the running around a little bit.

As far as my progression, my application to grad school is still in progress. I've got all of the transcripts requested, my letters of recommendation have been submitted and the only thing left for me to do is take and achieve an acceptable score on the GRE. I took a practice test and scored right at the minimum qualifying score. So, I need to spend a little time studying/practicing to make sure I've got a little breathing room on the exam. I'm glad to be so close to done with that piece, I think I should be able to finish the GRE in the next month or so.

Assuming my acceptance into the grad program, it's looking like I'll need to take five additional classes to complete the degree. Ugh! So, unfortunately, it looks like I'll be pushing back student teaching yet again. In some ways, this is frustrating because in reality, I could be student teaching right now if I stayed on my original schedule. But, in other ways, it's a bit of a blessing as it allows the family to save some extra money, pay off some items like the cars, and better prepare us for the period where we are on a single income until I'm able to get going with my teaching gig.

It's a lot to digest but I'm at peace with where I am now. I am looking forward to the time when it is all completed though. And I start up class this week, taking a single course in American Lit from the early 1800s. I've already started reading Moby Dick in preparation for the class. Melville is quite a writer!

Enough for now.

Song lyric of the day: "On the way to school / I'm glad it wasn't you" Drivin N Cryin

Until next time.

Ace

1 comment:

Shel said...

I cannot believe how quickly the summer has gone.