Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Speaking from the Backside

I confess to knowing very little about politics but have a growing interest in the area. I suppose that happens to most of us as we get older. At least for me, I care a lot more about the stuff these folks talk about than I did ten years ago. Although I'm interested, I harbor little hope that my small involvement will result in anything changing. But I suppose that just being part of the process is at least taking a little responsibility. And what could be more American than getting involved in our crazy political game?

Anyhow, this presidential campaign has been really interesting thus far. And while there has been much teeth-gnashing over the drawn out Democratic campaign, it has really been quite fascinating to watch. The Clintons are an undying set of political animals, aren't they? They've really fought to the finish and continue to go at it. It seems as if the end is near though. And Obama has really been intriguing in that his stock has risen so quickly. It was less than four years ago that his speech at the DNC really put his name on the map but I'm kind of shocked at how well he has performed in the campaign. I think this is a bigger statement about the collective frustration in the country at the same old political games. Which is a very interesting dichotomy against the backdrop of the Clintons.

And McCain has also been interesting. I've always liked that he has seemed willing to cross the aisle when he felt that a particular issue dictated that he should. But during this campaign, and especially since he wrapped up the GOP nomination, I have seen an increased effort to appeal to the conservative faction of his party. It feels a lot like pandering to me so I will be keeping a close eye on him as we move into general electioneering to see just what gives here.

Can you tell it's a slow day? I'm talking politics for crying out loud!

Song lyric of the day: "Calling my connection for a party at Camp David / The first lady's not invited" President Forever, Local H (new album out yesterday, pick it up people!!!!)

Until next time.

Ace

No comments: