Monday, May 12, 2008

Rocking out with grandpa on a stomach full of raw fish

An action-packed weekend has come and gone. I'm happy to say I actually was moderately productive!

The better half had to work until 8 Friday night so not much went on Friday. Except I was able to do some research on the grad program at my school. I also was able to download some study materials for the GRE, which I'll need to take in order to gain admittance to the program. I expect to tackle the 2 study tests I downloaded in the next couple of weeks.

Saturday brought the soccer doubleheader. My monkey scored a goal again this week, hurray! Unfortunately, everything the team practiced went out the window once the ball went into play. But whatever, they had fun and may have even actually won this week. It was pretty close score wise. I think they are improving! The 3-5 year olds were a real handful this week. They are a tough group to get engaged in doing anything, that's for sure. So, one more week of soccer for both kids. I wouldn't say I'm missing it, Bob! Our finale should be great as we have the 10 am, 4 pm split on game times. Ugh!

To make matters worse, we have friends coming in from overseas Friday. They are here to visit a gazillion friends and are only with us for a day. We'll see how it goes, hope they don't mind lugging their newborn to the soccer field. Sheesh.

Saturday was also the 12th anniversary for the better half and I. Wow, that's kind of a long time . A big thanks to the little sister for baby sitting. We started the evening's festivities at a sweet sushi spot in Chicago called Kamehachi. Very tasty and highly recommended, but make sure you sit upstairs, much better than the sterile downstairs area! Afterwards, out to see one of the better half's favorite bands, Crowded House. You may recall my post of a prior show from August of last year. They sounded great, were really working the crowd. One amazing thing about this band - apparently there's a tradition amongst their fans to write song requests on paper, fold up into a paper airplane and launch it onstage. The band will occasionally play a song or two from the paper airplanes. This is a pretty cool idea. The amazing part was that there were some really obscure requests coming in. In fact, on one song, the lead singer couldn't even remember the words. But once he got started with the words, the band belted out the song and it sounded really good. I'm impressed by the ability to play songs they've probably not played in many years and make it sound great.

But beyond the show, the venue was quite strange. Last time we saw these guys, it was at House of Blues, standing room only. This time we were at a theater that had a standing area downstairs and then an upstairs with general admin seating. The better half wanted to opt for seating. So up we went. I swear, I have never been to a show with so many old people. I think we were the youngest in that area by at least 10 years. Unreal. It was quite disconcerting. I'm sure the downstairs standing area was younger but man, what a trip! Anyhow, the show was fun.

We spent Mother's Day doing typical stuff you do on mother's day. A happy belated MD to all you mothers out there. But one other good thing I was able to accomplish was that after the monkeys went to bed for the night, I was able to get some work done on the room I've been trying to finish in my basement. Woohoo! Another coat of paint tonight I hope will put us in pretty good shape.

I hope to get some more music related posts out shortly as I've checked out the new Panic At The Disco CD, received the last Death Cab for Cutie disc as a gift, will be getting the new Local H tomorrow and have a couple of concerts this week. Turns out I won a pair of tickets to a small club show to see Death Cab for Cutie, a band I know little about but like a few of their songs. Very excited! It's also on the same night as our Flight of The Conchords show but timed so that we can make both - what a great doubleheader!

Enough for now, back to the rock!

Song lyric of the day "So brown eyes I hold you near / Cause you’re the only song I want to hear / A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere" Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie - awesome, awesome song!

Until next time.

Ace


No comments: