Tuesday, February 26, 2008

CD Review - Seven Mary Three - DayAndNightDriving

Disclaimer: I am a HUGE Seven Mary Three fan. I will attempt to stay objective.

Day&NightDriving from Seven Mary Three is the band's sixth major release and is perhaps the most diverse record the band has produced. The idea behind the title of the CD is that there are a mix of heavy (day driving) and soft (night driving) songs, but the night side certainly gets more of the attention from the quartet.

One thing that has been consistently true about 7m3 is that nearly every one of their songs sounds better live. The first track, Last Kiss, is an excellent example of this. While the recorded version is an upbeat way to start the CD, this one really shines in a live environment with the added energy from lead singer Jason Ross and guitarist Thomas Juliano. Regardless, Last Kiss is one of the best "singles" from the record and has the best chance of receiving radio play.

Laughing Out Loud is a sweet and optimistic song exploring the tension and evolution of a relationship. The music is simple, allowing the focus to remain on the lyrics and story being told by Ross. Like several of the songs on the record, it sounds like something written as a singer/songwriter special, with the rest of the instruments brought in afterwards.

Was a Ghost gets back to "day driving". The crunchy guitars from Juliano are reminiscent of mid-90's Dinosaur Jr. and Ross is closest in this song to the gravelly, growling he used so well on some of the bands earlier releases. A fun song, this is another one that excels live. Excellent lyrics here as well.

60's and 70's Johnny Cash is the best way to describe the music and sound of Dreaming Against Me. The rockabilly guitar and drums, as well as the catchy "Hey, everything's going to be all right" refrain smack of the simplistic sounds Cash used so well. Not exactly a sound that you hear much these days and a lot of fun to have right in the middle of the CD. Interestingly, I could see Cash singing about the same topics that Ross covers in this song.

One of the problems with being a big fan of a band is that you often hear songs long before they are released. This is the case with Hammer & a Stone, which has been circulated widely as a live track amongst 7m3 fans. The result is that feeling of "That's not how that song goes" when hearing it on the record. Once past that, it's easy to enjoy the piano and the guitar effects, in addition to the brilliant lyrics on this song. One complaint with this track is that it sounds like Ross is eating the microphone, which detracts from the "night driving" feeling of the song.

The music in Break the Spell is a bit pedestrian. This is another one that has circulated widely and feels more like Ross wrote this one a while back and the other instruments were brought in for the recording. This one may work better as a solo track. Same goes for You Think Too Much. "Keep your head up because it's never as bad as you think" - nice lyric! But this one of the more forgettable songs on the record. While I'm at it, I would put She Wants Results in the same category. The music seems a bit tacked on to Ross's solo song. The lyrics work really well in this one.

Some more "night driving" with Strangely at Home Here. This song is a trip into the life of a rock and roller torn between dichotomy of the enticing allure of the road and being home with loved ones. Ross manages to find some fun in telling the story as well. This song served as the final tune at the band's 10 year celebration of the release of their debut major label record and the recent record release weekend and has become a fan favorite. Another song that would work very well solo, Juliano adds some excellent guitar work in the recorded version.

Upside Down is the single best song that Seven Mary Three has ever done. As a longtime fan, that is really saying something. The country western guitar sound and the story of coming of age and coming to grips combine to marry nostalgia with the decisions we all make as we go through this life. This is a song that will hold up over time.

Another song where Ross seems to have the mic in his mouth is Dead Days in the Kitchen. This is another one that has been around for a while and is a big favorite. The record is just vocals and guitar, no tacked on instrumentation, which is a great way to hear the song.

Finishing off the record is a song called Things I Stole. Ross's vocals really shine in this song and the guitar hook is fantastic. This is a song that leaves you wanting more, which I think is a great way to wrap things up.

One of the hard things about new records from bands I love is that I have high expectations. I wanted to love this record from the second I put it in but it didn't grab me immediately. After several listens, I've certainly grown attached to several of the songs. But loving a CD shouldn't be so hard, should it? A part of me wishes that Jason Ross had released most of these songs on a solo record. Overall, the record is good and should appeal to a wide variety of fans, mostly those that really enjoy the singer/songwriter genre. Buy the record, give it a couple spins and you will undoubtedly find a few songs in here to love for yourself. Even better, make sure you see Seven Mary Three when they come through your town this summer.

Until next time.

Ace.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I feel the same way about the last Big and Rich CD. I am not a country fan...but I like B&R...especially Big Kenny. He could sing to me 24 hours a day and I would be so pleased. So when their last album came out I bought it. I have 2 or 3 of the others..I rip them and give them to my sister...so I lose track of what I have....anyway. I bought the new one and had high hopes. And was let down. It was not upbeat like the others. If I listen to country I want it to be happy. I want a good beat and I can dance to it...I'm an American Bandstand Generation gal. So I can relate to what you said. The same thing happened when I bought an AC/DC...stiff upper lip. That was when I realized that their songs are just a rehash of the old good songs that I grew up on!!
Talk about stick with what you know!
So Tell about the kids and THE MOUSE!

Shel said...

A CD review? No news on Mickey and the kids? Sunny weather and no need for a coat or defroster?

I love 7m3 too, but some of us are vacationing vicariously through you this winter!

Anonymous said...

How was their show in FL?

Ace said...

Sorry, I'll give some news on Disney when I have a free minute, a combo of work and the flu running through the house are stomping me down. I'll also include news on the concerts....

Anonymous said...

Wow! Strong statement on Upside Down! Of the songs on the album that I hadn't heard before the release (7 of the 12), that's the one that's stuck with me the most. I have a hard time seconding your declaration...it's just not interesting enough musically. I do think it's a great song though.

It's interesting that you mention that a lot of these songs would have been better as a Jason Ross solo album. I'd say that's what this record basically is. I think these are the kinds of songs he's most comfortable writing. He probably figured that this is likely to be his last shot and if it was, he wanted it to be an album that was true to who he wanted to be even if that was an almost 180-degree departure from their first album. If so, I think he's done that. Now we'll have to see if the music-buying public is interested.