Friday, February 15, 2008

NIU Shooting - In shock

From CNN.com

"A former student opened fire in a lecture hall Thursday at Northern Illinois University, shooting 21 people before fatally shooting himself. Seven people died, including the gunman."

I've been struggling with how to react after this news. As a current college student, I realize that it would not have taken much coincidence for my name to be among the seven. And of course, your mind goes through what you would have done in the situation. And the professor teaching was a grad assistant. Several of my colleagues are grad assistants who teach classes as well.

The biggest question everyone is grappling with is why. News has just released the name of the shooter so it's only a matter of time before we have a million reporters digging through this guy's history. But, without specific context, one wonders why anyone would do this. Even if a person decided there was nothing left to live for, what causes that leap to make you want to take as many people with you as possible? Especially incomprehensible is the seemingly random vengeance enacted on complete strangers.

Of course this isn't the first time this has happened. Nor will it be the last. Most alarming is the frequency with which these shootings are occurring, particularly on college campuses. I'm left to wonder why this seems to happen so much more in the US than other areas of the developed world. And as a parent and future teacher, I find myself wary. Increasingly wary.

I'm not sure how my perspective on this will change in the coming days as more information is divulged on this particular scenario. But I know that I'm still in shock over how easily this could have happened to me. And feeling incredibly lucky that it did not...

Until next time.

Ace

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad you weren't there my friend.

It is scary how frequent this is happening in our nation. Even scarier isn't "why" this happened, but "when" will it happen again?

Anonymous said...

I was at the mall the day of our shooting. ANd it's just a matter of time before someone walks into an ER or ICU and opens fire becuase their loved one died and we didn't do enough. Unfortunately you can't let those thoughts grip you.

Ace said...

Thx Jason, I'm glad I wasn't there too! I guess there's really nothing we can do to avoid it. Very scary.

Ace said...

Tree, I suppose we're all at risk to some degree. There certainly have been plenty of stories of workplace shootings, I guess it doesn't really matter what you do, you could find yourself in danger. So strange that this is happening so much, is it all the medication we're on these days?