Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sweet relief!

Hallelujah, the final has been completed and I am officially done (at least for six weeks until summer semester starts up). I'm not all that optimistic to be honest. I've got a major streak of A's going that I fear may be broken. Guess it's not really a big deal but I'd rather have an A than not.

To waste time before I finished my final, I've been working on many dalliances, including a trip last Wed to see Flight of The Conchords with the better half. The show was quite good. After seeing them last year and again last week, it is evident the fellas have been touring profusely. Their show was much more entertaining, I could tell they were more experienced. I'm told the second season of their HBO show just wrapped up so I'm eagerly awaiting its release on DVD. Haven't seen any of it yet :-(

I've also seen quite a few movies in the last few weeks. On my trip to California, I got to see Seven Pounds with Will Smith during the flight. This was a decent movie, meant to be suspenseful although it was pretty predictable. Smith is good, the premise is just a little silly. But, it was much better than what they usually show on flights so I was glad for that. On the way home, the movie showing was Yes Man with Jim Carrey. This was kind of similar to Liar Liar except instead of being unable to lie, he was unable to say No. This leads to all sorts of nonsense and tomfoolery (highly underutilized word). All in all, this was a very funny movie. I also thoroughly enjoyed the role played by Rhys Darby, who is Jim Carrey's manager at his job and I originally came to know as Murray, the band manager on Flight of the Conchords. Good stuff!

I also saw I am Legend a couple nights ago, another Will Smith joint. This was a cool movie, a zombie movie that didn't focus on schtick or attempting to be too scary. Instead, it was a sort of smart thriller about a cure for cancer gone bad, wiping out most of the population of earth. Smith is an army general/doctor who is a survivor, trying to find a cure for the virus causing zombification. Some very cool scenes of a deserted NYC where Smith lives. Cool movie.

And the other way I've been wasting time is by watching way too much Bulls basketball. Guess I don't have to worry about that anymore but it was a fun ride. As I described to a few friends, this was a fun team to watch but frustrating. Kinda like your kids - they do dumb stuff but at the end of the day you still love 'em and are proud of what they accomplished. I look forward to what's in store for this squad.

Song lyric of the day "Zombie, zombie, zombay-ay-ay-ay" The Cranberries.

Until next time.

Ace

3 comments:

Dave said...

I haven't been able to stand Jim Carey for quite a while. I don't know what would be worse for me, your flight back with Liar Liar, or the one I had back from Hawaii with Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. Toss up.

I also dug on I am Legend. His house was a fantasic example of what we should all do to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Congrats on finishing the term. Time to take a few weeks and only be regular-busy, and not super-busy.

Robin said...

Really?
Zombies???
I thought Vampires...only came out at night creatures.
I had no idea that zombies were nocturnal!
Not that I'm a zombies expert.
But still.

High Five! On the school thing.

Ace said...

Thanks for the congrats and high-five, feeling good!