Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Flying!

Wow, this late spring is absolutely flying by. To close one piece of old business, I did ridiculously manage an A in my 2nd class this semester, despite logic dictating otherwise. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, pretty sure you have to tell the teacher to take a flying leap to score otherwise.

The last couple of weeks have been quite eventful. I'll start with last week, where Thursday I started my day heading to visit a new client of mine, one that promises to make life very difficult over the next 6 months or so. But we had a good meeting so it was a nice start to the day.

I headed from the meeting to my boy Q's place, where I would work the afternoon before the evening's frivolity would ensue. But before that, he and I went to one of his favorite little Thai joints for lunch and ate more broccoli than was previously thought possible by mere mortals.

After this tasty treat and an afternoon of work, I made my way to downtown Chicago to participate in the Corporate Challenge, a 3.5 mile run through the downtown lakefront area with 18,000 of my closest friends. This is part of the commitment I made to myself to run in at least one race per month during the spring/summer/fall, while the weather will bear it. While I've been working out some, it hasn't been as consistent as it should be, it has been enough. I wound up with a time that was right in line with what I was hoping, which was nice, given my nearly 16 minute first mile that consisted of a 5 minute walk to the starting line before beginning a light jog and eventually turning into a mini-jog where I was picking and choosing my steps to avoid running over / being run over. All in all, it was a fun time although I found it a little strange that most of the food my company's tent had consisted of cookies, potato chips, etc. This is a run, you think they'd have some healthy choices!

After the run, back to Q's where I got a quick shower and a tasty bite to eat courtesy of his far better half, and we met up with Duch for a rousing good concert, checking out Local H at a Chicago venue called Double Door, which is hosting a series of shows by different artists to celebrate their 15th anniversary. It was pretty warm in Chicago that day, low to mid-80s and it wasn't much cooler at night. Given that DD was sold out, the place was absolutely smoking inside. And this is not an easy listening show folks. I'll just say that after being abused for about 2 hours by that crowd, I thought I was going to pass out more than once. But man was it worth it. Hadn't seen the H in quite some time and they delivered, playing a ton of great rocking songs and the crowd was way into it. It was a great night even though I didn't get home until past 2 on a school night and my ears didn't stop ringing for several days.

I've got a ton of other stuff to update on but it's getting close to bedtime kiddies. I'll try to post back soon.

Song lyric of the day "Hey, I made a promise to love myself" Local H

Until next time.

Ace

4 comments:

Dave said...

Heck yeah yo. What a good show (and tasty Cozy Noodle). I think Duch said his ears stopped ringing mid-day Friday. I wasn't until late Fri night.

Next we have to get a poker run in, before your classes begin.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the run. I'm trying to do this on Saturday:

http://www.3mountainmadness.com/

I need all the luck I can get - it will be intense!

Ace said...

BT, that looks insane! Which route did you pick? I found it hard enough to pick my way through a ton of runners, I would expect it to be much more difficult on a bike! Good luck bro, I'll be thinking of you...

Unknown said...

75 is all I could fathom. I'll drop a quick note w/results on Monday. I'm guesstimating about 7 hours on the bike. Yikes...