Friday, January 2, 2009

2008 in review

I'm sure as we all flip the calendar to 2009, we'll look back at this past year with an awareness of the many challenges we've faced personally and, if you are reading this in the US, nationally. God knows they've been chronicled endlessly, even here to some degree. But when I look back on 2008, I'm going to think back to the many blessings that came the way of me and loved ones. Much of this has been documented here previously but I want to take inventory.

Of course, the best thing is the fact that most of my family stayed in relatively good health. Not perfect, but definitely not too bad. And when you're dealing with 3 young monkeys, it's always good to go a calendar year without dramatic incident!

Our family also went back to a double income household, despite tremendous trepidation on our part. It has been a significant lifestyle change, and there has been a lot of sacrifice involved. But we're making the best of it. While I don't expect it to remain this way forever, we've gotten ourselves used to this way of life and I hope we can improve it in steps. The better half has been an absolute rock as this change came to be and I cannot be thankful enough for that. Beyond that, simply being employed qualifies as an accomplishment in this economic environment, and I remain glad for that.

On the school front, I have blasted my way through six classes. It hasn't been easy, but that hasn't stopped me from performing well and enjoying it to a degree. I've also traversed the treacherous trail of graduate application and gained admittance to the graduate program I wanted. Additionally, I've solidified my schedule as I remain focused on the ultimate goal of moving into a teacher role.

I have also strengthened some great friendships this year and made several new friends that I look forward to getting to know better. Not to mention the roughly 26,000 births that have occurred among my many friends, nearly all without a hitch, and no hitch too significant regardless.

And on a few trivial notes, I've been able to enjoy some great new music, both recorded and live from many of my favorite bands and have enjoyed making some new favorites. I can also add a silly fantasy baseball championship to my resume, woooohoooo!

All in all, 2008 was pretty good to me and my crew, and for that, I'll remember it as a good year. I hope you all can say the same. But if not, there's always another chance here in 2009.

Song lyric of the day "I'm scared of the future but I'm bored with the past" Local H, Halcyon Days

Until next time.

Ace

1 comment:

Robin said...

High Five!!! To another great year.