Monday, January 28, 2008

Movie Review - U2 3D

Q: How many members of the band U2 does it take to change a light bulb?
A: One, Bono holds the light bulb and the world revolves around him.

I surprised the better half with a trip to the local IMAX theatre for U2 3D, which is basically a concert of the band in Buenos Aires that was recorded in 3D technology during the recent Vertigo tour.

I've seen U2 once live, simply because the better half is such a huge fan of theirs. However, I do believe that the band has authored some of the greatest rock songs in the last 30 years - their status as legends is well deserved in this respect. Despite this, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the band.



With this set of preconceived notions as a backdrop, I wasn't expecting much from the movie/concert. But I was blown away. Anyone who enjoys rock and roll, the live concert experience or cool movie makin technology really should see this movie. Before I get too fanboy on you though (and isn't that suddenly the most derogatory thing you can say about someone?), let me nitpick a little.



There were a few things I didn't care for in the movie. First, I wish they would have just played the whole show uncut. I realize the band is probably putting on 2 1/2 hour shows but the movie seemed a little off kilter when they were cutting from song to song. Second, there were other songs I sure would have loved to hear, especially Please, which is probably my favorite song from the band and appears on the Pop CD. Finally, I could have done without Bono's attempts at speaking Spanish to the crowd. He sounded like me trying to read the Dora books to the kids at bedtime. Sheesh! EDIT - Big thanks to regular reader Jason for this link to the performance on YouTube.


OK, now it's time to gush. This was really an unbelievable technical experience. Within the first minute, you feel like you are standing right next to Bono on stage. Fantastic! The 90 minutes of technical wizardry make this movie worth the price you pay, which is saying something in the day of $10+ movie tickets. Even the credits and titles of the movie are extremely well done. Great care is taken to fully take advantage of the 3D technology.

Also, the versions of Where the Streets Have No Name and With or Without You are inspired. They are the highlights of the setlist, which is largely a "greatest hits" approach, which is what you would expect in a presentation such as this. Also, during the end credits, the band is playing an acoustic rendition of Yahweh, the final track on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. This song is unbelievably good and well placed in the final credits.

But the strength of this movie is the ability of the filmmakers to make you feel as if you are standing in the crowd at the concert. Many of the shots position the viewer firmly in the crowd, pushing, shoving, singing along with the anthems for which U2 has become known. The kinetic energy and goose bump producing moments one experiences in a show like this can be felt in the theatre (minus the sweaty dude behind you who spills his beer all over). And that is where this movie makes it magic.

I strongly recommend making the effort to see this movie if it is playing near you. You won't regret it. But get there early, tickets sell pretty quickly. And, as an aside, it appears the Rolling Stones have a similar film coming out soon, which I'm sure will also be good.

Until next time.

Ace

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely check that out, thanks for the review.

I couldn't agree more with you regarding Please. That song was fantastic live during the Pop tour and it's message is great.

Ace said...

The version I remember most of this was played during MTV Video Music Awards where Bono spends a good deal of time wandering through the crowd as he sings wearing a Unabomber fashioned hoodie. Ahhhh, back when MTV actually had something related to the M in the call letters.

Robin said...

I feel that way about the Beatles. I don't get them. And don't see what the fuss is all about.

But the Stones...I'm right there!!

I doubt I'll bet to see it. I'd hafta drive to Tulsa and I'm not too keen on that.

Have a great day and Aloha!

Anonymous said...

Ace, I sent you a Youtube link for that performance of Please on the VMAs.

Anonymous said...

I think Pop is a very underrated piece of work. Everyone looks at it as one of their worst albums, but I think songs like Mofo, Please, and If You Wear That Velvet Dress hold up with almost any of their songs.

Hope I can see the 3D show before it leaves the theaters. Can't wait to see Keef in 3D though!

Ace said...

I have to be honest, I've probably only heard the record a few times. But I'll take your word for it.

I believe Keith's role as Captain Jack's pappy should also be done in 3D for the record....

Anonymous said...

Just saw U2 3D today and it was pretty awesome. The 3D makes you feel like you're there...I almost clapped a few times. There were some 3D downsides though. I refer specifically to the few times I felt as if I was being violated by Adam Clayton. I'm currently looking into a lawsuit...

It was awesome though. Sunday Bloody Sunday was amazing, the 3D was amazing, and Yahweh was fantastic. Well worth it.