Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm a sissy / Eat til you hurl!

How's that for a title, eh? This should be fun!

This weekend I hooked up with several of the fellas for a fun-filled evening of various boring stuff that guys tend to do.

It started with an innocent trip to the local cineplex to check out Cloverfield. If you haven't heard of this movie, it's one that has a Blair Witch sort of angle, where it purports to be someone using a camcorder and we are watching the tape afterwards. So, it's basically filmed using a handheld camera. Beyond that, it follows this group of 20 somethings who are having a going away party in Manhattan for one of their friends. In the middle of the party, some gigantic monster attacks NYC. Anyhow, during the first couple minutes of the movie, the guy running the camcorder is handing it over to his friend to video the going away party for this guy. While he hands over the camera and the other dude takes it, the picture is extremely shaky and flying all over the place.

Now, I normally don't have a weak stomach but all the motion makes me nauseous (it also didn't help that we were sitting fairly close to the screen). I look away for a few minutes while I hope the camera steadies but I swear I just couldn't pull it together. I spend the next 90 minutes listening to the movie, sneaking occasional peeks at the screen when something important is going to happen. It was pretty unpleasant. Luckily, it was a short movie and I actually don't know that I missed much. The movie itself was kinda fun despite some significant plot gaps.

Afterwards, the group of 6 hungry males went for an all you can eat crab leg fest at a local establishment. I will say this - crab legs are perhaps my favorite dish on the planet. I will also say that I take an unhealthy (figuratively and literally) amount of joy from hording and eating insane quantities of grub. A favorite quote of mine from days gone by is "I would rather puke than let you eat my mashed potatoes" (author unknown, ok, actually I'm the one who said it). Anyhow, I believe the group of us were responsible for the filming of an additional season of Deadliest Catch. I would say that I'm not proud but I would be lying to you, faithful reader. I enjoyed every last shell that was cracked. But many of the members had some stomach churning after the gluttony that took place.

There was other boring stuff that took place but all in all, it was a fun but frigid time. Is it spring yet? Only 28 days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training!

Meanwhile, all is back on track after my early semester debacle from last week. I haven't met the firebreathing dragon teacher yet and won't for another week. But my second class looks like it will be kind of fun, although pretty large, something like 30 students in the class, which is a history of education in the US. The teacher actually lets each student choose which assignments they complete, which is a good precursor of things to come. I have to start by reading a book and writing a paper on it in the next two weeks. I better get started!

Until next time.

Ace

4 comments:

Robin said...

Thanks for the Movie and book reviews!!
Will Ferrell is so funny. He so unashamed to be nekked and he seems so proud about it. I was wondering if he is like Travolta in that way...John dances in most every one of his movies. Does Will go nekked in all of his??

I would love to see 3:10 to Yuma. Roy has seen the old version and hates remakes. I can't take him to the movies to see it becuz of all the cussin' he does. We watched JarHead at home for that reason.
"That Ain't MY MarineCorps!"
He will call cadence in the theater...I'm used to it but those around us are not. And when we went to see SuperTroopers, it was "Oh I've done that!"
He used to be somebody.
I'll take your word for it about Cloverfield. I don't care for horror type. They scare the PeeWater outta me! I have nightmares!


Thanks for stoppin' by!

Anonymous said...

Ah, crab legs. You can't beat them. Going into a meal like that, you're convinced you'll eat for hours, only to have that sweet nectar fill you up sooner than expected.

I read a review of Cloverfield that said the movie "crossed the line." Not sure what that meant, can you shed any insight into that?

Ace said...

I don't think Ferrell is always naked but it's usually funnier if he is!

Ace said...

Jason, I fully expected a longer tenure at the crableg table but you're right, it fills you up quickly.

I don't know about the "cross the line" comment. I have heard some scuttlebutt that people are saying it's irresponsible movie making because the tragedy in NYC is somewhat reminiscent(sp?) of 9/11. I personally believe that is unwarranted. I will probably watch it again after reading some of the backstory online, which is extensive! It's the same dude that does Lost, so that explains the crazy amount of backstory.