Monday, October 6, 2008

Psychos and Kid Shows

What a weekend!
-
Started things off with a poker tourney on Friday night, 18 man league game I've been playing in for a couple of months now. On the first hand I lost about 1/3 of my chips, not a good start! But, about 3 hands later I more than doubled up when my pocket Jacks flopped a set. That literally was enough chips to last me for quite a while, getting me to the final table. A few hands here and there kept me afloat but there was one giant stack at the table who had literally 10 times more than anyone else. It was just a matter of getting a great hand, pushing against him and hoping you held up. Fortunately I had enough chips that I could be patient to find my hand to push with and outlasted several shorter stacks, cruising into the money and lasting all the way until second. By the time we got heads up, dude literally had 10-1 chip lead on me. I doubled through him once to bring my stack up to about 42k (out of 270k on the table). Then I got my chips in with QJ suited against a random hand like 36o but dude flopped a six and that was the end of that! Had my hand held up there, I would have been only down 2 to 1 chip wise and liked my chances. Still, it was a pretty solid performance overall that should put me in a good position in the standings, probably in the top 4 or so out of around 30. Nice!
-
Saturday was a trip to Chicago Theatre to see the Backyardigans. We had sweet seats, 4th row. Any closer and I think it might have been a little too close. Kid #2 was hilarious, very apprehensive when the show started. The Backyardigans is a kids show that is animated. But the live show was actually people dressed up like the characters. #2 was not buying it. But eventually, everyone came around and wound up having a good time. It was a good, fun family day. We wound things up with a trip to the local Red Robin, where all the high school kids had descended for their pre-Homecoming meals. There were some seriously shiny dresses and bad ties. I cringed remembering my own ridiculousness at this period in my life.
-
Last night I decided I needed to mix things up a little and decided to finally watch No Country for Old Men. This was an excellent movie, in line with other offerings from the Coen brothers. Josh Brolin was really good and Javier Bardem definitely earned the Oscar that he won. His role was one of the great characters in recent memory. A very suspenseful movie, very violent and lots of fun. Tommy Lee Jones was good but not Oscar worthy. I'm not sure I loved the ending but I don't have a problem with it.
-
Song lyric of the day: "We're knights, that's right!" The Backyardigans
-
Until next time.
-
Ace

No comments: