Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Major accomplishment

One of the biggest anxieties I have related to "my grand project" of moving into a teaching job is the financial component. As mentioned, I will have to quit my job to student teach and then will take a pretty large pay cut in becoming a teacher, somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% or more. Jinkee Scoob!

As a result, the better half is going to have to go back to work, after being out of the workforce for more than 5 years. Needless to say, this would be an extremely nerve-wracking and emotional situation for anyone. However, I am extremely proud to report that the return has started, with a job working as a notarized signing agent, working with people signing paperwork related to real estate closings. It's a very flexible job, which is critical. Anyhow, the first one happened last week and went off without a hitch (other than having to travel to meet with clients in the very heavy rain we experienced in the area that night). I know the better half was quite anxious over the whole affair but as I expected, it was handled flawlessly. Now the trick will be to keep up a steady stream of this to build up a bit of a war chest as we approach the day where I terminate employment.

First day of class went off last night. I have a LOT of work in store for me. Thankfully, I will only actually be on campus and in class one night a week, which will be a nice change. But I know I will need to spend a ton of time on homework. 3 classes again this semester, 2 of which are clinical studies where most of my work is actually spent in school's observing and speaking with teachers. The other is a class about teaching English and how to write. I'm particularly excited for this course. The teacher seems very good and has a great depth of knowledge. Despite the fact I'm taking 3 classes, it's actually only 6 credit hours. I'm toying with the idea of adding a lit class but probably will not since work will be very busy this fall.

Finally, on the fun front, have listened to a lot of new music lately on XM. I've heard some stuff I like from The Kooks, Death Cab for Cutie, Nada Surf and others I can't really think of right now.

Lastly, I share a birthday with Fidel Castro - who knew?

3 comments:

jasongerwig said...

That is great news about the "better half."

I commend you for making this career change, I think you're going to be very happy...and nothing beats two weeks off at Christmas and your summer's off for baseball!

Anonymous said...

Red Sox just got swept in NY...brutal.

Ace said...

Thx for the words of encouragement, I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I guess time will tell but I expect it to be more fulfilling than the current gig.