Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Cel-e-brate good times!

There is much cause for celebration today!

First, I am about 48 hours from being done with semester number one in this grand project of mine. I'm looking at this as a big milestone and willing to celebrate. Granted, in the next 2 days I still have to write a paper and take two finals but those are minor details. I think I should be okay on those areas. Perhaps I'll wax philosophic about this achievement in the coming weeks.

But on to bigger and more significant things to celebrate. One of my very good friends recently has suffered through a major health scare. I'll not go into the details but there was definitely a chance of terminal illness being involved. However, word came down yesterday that he was going to be okay after a short recovery period. Greater news could not be had.

Several years ago, another good friend of mine lost his best friend to cancer (pancreatic or liver I believe). The guy was around the age of 34 when he died. And in the last year or so, a former boss of mine was lost to pancreatic cancer around the age of 45 or so. And another good friend suffered from but survived a bout with testicular cancer around the age of 30. It's definitely scary just how prevalent these types of diseases are, especially amongst age groups very close to my own. It shakes you from your reverie of invincibility to say the least.

All of these scenarios were weighing greatly on my mind as my friend went in for doctor visits and tests. What a great relief to find no cause for concern. So dear reader, when you read this, make a point to tell a friend or loved one how much you care for them. For we never know when all that we assume will be snatched away in an instant. Or at least just have a drink in their honor!

There is no good segue from this topic so I will say that there has been a lot going on in the last week, including brushes with the law, my own near drowning and an encounter with deafness in just one ear. Kids, in the business they call that a tease. I'll be back to post more post-finals!

Until next time.

Ace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take heed in your words, Boo. Reach out to that friend. Damn male egos; just do it!

Don't make me come over there and smack you. I'm pretty sure the whiff would just let me do it, too!