Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Big dude in a red jumpsuit

No, I'm not talking about David Lee Roth, I'm talking Santa baby! I hope this message finds all loyal readers making full use of their acquired holiday toys and trinkets. I am pleased to report the receipt of Season One of Flight of the Conchords, really the only thing I could think that I really wanted this year. The best part of the holidays was spending time with the family and having a long stretch away from work. With Xmas on Tuesday, Monday was also a holiday at work and I am using up a couple of extra vacation days so I'm not heading back until Friday. I can deal with 1 day work weeks, where do we sign up for that permanently?

I was a little bummed about Christmas this year. We hosted but due to Xmas being on a Tuesday very few travelers were able to make it. I usually love having a huge group around for the holidays but it was not to be. So, it was a quiet day with our only visitors showing up late Christmas Eve/early Xmas am and leaving by mid-day. We're going to make up for it by hosting a New Years extravaganza - hopefully it'll be a grand time.

The schedule for next semester is set up, with class on Monday and Wednesday evenings. These are 2 more required classes I will be getting knocked off the list. This should make summer a little easier, since I'm taking one of the 3 courses I was supposed to take over the summer. I may actually sign up for one more math class if I can figure that out before school starts in the next two weeks. I think I'm going to need to try and qualify for the class since I don't have any of the pre-requisites. I really should have taken Calculus a long time ago :-(

And I am happy to report that I have even had a little free time to read during the break from class. I read a book called Fantasyland, which is the story of a sportswriter for the New York Times who signs up for his first ever fantasy baseball league. The story talks about his experience and the very strange and obsessed sub-culture of fantasy sports. The book is pretty good but there are times when you call tell the dude is a fantasy newbie.

I also read a book from Phil Jackson, former head coach of the Chicago Bulls and current coach of the LA Lakers. It's a decent read but the guy who co-wrote the book with him sucks, because it doesn't have much voice at all. You can tell Phil's influence in the book but it comes off as amateurish. In my mind, it's the co-author's job to make the sports person sound like they wrote a real book. But there were some very interesting ideas in the book that I hope to explore in greater detail in this space in the future. Phil is known as a bit of a hippie type so I was intrigued by some of his psychology and philosophy.

And, speaking of fantasy, football has wrapped up. There was some sort of mix-up in the one league where I thought I didn't make the playoffs. Turns out, I actually did. Not only did I make it, I wound up winning the whole thing. And I managed to make it to the championship in my league with the highest entry, where the person I played in the championship (Q) and I agreed to split the first and second place money before the game. Lucky for me as he edged me by about 10 points. So, I made the playoffs in all 3 leagues and cashed in 2, coming out way ahead on my entry fees. Good stuff.

I'm pleased to report that one of my favorite bands has a new album coming. A couple of the tracks can be heard here. I can't wait, I will be attending the two record release shows taking place in Florida in February. A good time to escape the midwest cold.

OK, that's enough for now. I hope everyone has a great new years!

Until next time.

Ace

No comments: