Monday, November 5, 2007

Eye gouging, poisoning and suicide

No, I have not been watching re-runs of "The Simple Life" or "Real World". Rather, just reading some more of Willie Shakespeare. I just finished King Lear and am now down to just 3 more plays in the next 3 1/2 weeks. Not bad at all my friends. And I really am enjoying reading them, although they are some violent pieces of work. Next up is Richard III, which I understand is more of the same. I think I'm ready for a comedy to be thrown in here!

I am also down to 2 more visits to my middle school to finish my clinical experience for this semester. I've been in class 3 days. My most recent visit was fairly uneventful although I did enjoy reading a couple of stories aloud to the 6th graders in the first period.

I had a sick, sick hand in poker that I wanted to share. I just got back from dinner and sit down in the big blind (playing $5 / $10 Limit Hold 'Em). 6 players limp in and I look down at pocket queens. I raise and all 6 come along for the ride.

The flop comes K-Q-9, with two diamonds on the board. I bet, there is one raise, another raise and I cap the betting. I'm assuming there is at least one person with Jack Ten for a made straight and probably an Ace King. There are 3 of us left in the pot. The turn is a 9, giving me a full house. The only hands that beat me are KK or 99. I bet, one call, a raise, I re-raise and the other dude calls. The river is the worst card in the deck, another K. I check, dude checks, girl bets, I call, he calls. I show my full house, dude shows Jack Ten for the straight and girl shows K-9. So, that river king killed me and lost me a gigantic pot. I was crushed, the pot must have been over $300. Anyhow, I got back at the winner later with another monster pot when I cracked her Aces by flopping a set of 4s. The pot was nearly as big as the Queens hand. I finished up overall but could have had a record breaking night if not for that King, grrrrr.

Some potentially great news came my way over the weekend. I blogged previously about a state content test I took several weeks ago with the expectation at about 70% that I failed. I'll be damned if I didn't get an e-mail with preliminary results showing that I passed quite easily. I'm waiting for the official results in the mail but I was pleasantly surprised by that little gem. The only possible catch is that you have to pass each sub-area in addition to passing overall but I'm guessing I should be ok. What a surprise.

I register for next semester today, looking at 3 classes, which should be pretty comfortable. In fact, I think I'm going to sign-off now to register.

Good luck to D, who is due to go into labor at absolutely any time now. Hope it all goes well!

Until next time,

Ace

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work on that test my friend.

Ace said...

Thx bro, I was shocked at the result.

Robin said...

I had panic attacks when I tested....For EVERYTHING! And I passed every test. Maybe not some the accounting test but that craps hard! It's more theory than one thinks!! I don't do theory!!

Congrats! And how goes the running?

Ace said...

I normally feel ok about my testing but just felt clueless on so many of the questions. I don't know how I did it but I'll ask no more questions and waste no more energy thinking about it. Plus, you're probably a genius and I'm actually pretty dumb.

As far as the running, see my newest post. Yikes.