Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Marching on

Tomorrow I finish up my clinical observations at a local high school, the culmination of 35 hours spent primarily with one English / reading teacher. It has been very interesting.

First, a bit about the school and classes. The school is a large one that has failed the No Child Left Behind standards for the last 6 years. There are a large number of students where they are more comfortable with Spanish than English. Additionally, there are a large number of students from poor households, where their parents immigrated from Mexico or Central America with around a 4th grade education. The specific classes I've been with are 3 reading classes, which are essentially remedial classes with many students that likely have undiagnosed learning disabilities or ADHD. There have also been 2 other classes that are English classes, with a slightly higher level of aptitude, although some of the same behavioral issues.

The teacher I have been with has taught for 33 years and reminds me of a grandmother. She's fairly small and while the students don't exactly run over her, she doesn't exactly have them eating out of the palm of her hand. This is the first year in several where she has not had all remedial reading students, so the English classes are a delight for her. My first several sessions were observing standardized testing, which wasn't very compelling. More recently, I've seen some lessons and learned a few things about various teaching strategies and tools. Overall, the teacher has been sort of unprepared, seemingly winging it since she has so much experience. But it hasn't made the greatest impression on me.

The issues with the kids have been really eye-opening. So much energy gets spent on playing cop that it is difficult to spend much time on instruction. This has been the most disappointing aspect for me. I'm definitely interested to see how my middle school experience, which I'll start in about 2 weeks, will compare to what I've seen at the high school. I also plan to talk to many of my friends who teach to get their insights as well. That said, I have turned in my student teaching application for next fall with a request to be placed in a middle school. I may change my mind ultimately as to what level I'd like to teach but that's where I'm leaning right now.

Otherwise, classes are moving ahead. Hard to believe I'm already 1/3 of the way through the term. One of my courses is really good, I think I'm going to enjoy the Shakespeare course also. Then I have my observation classes, which seem pretty useless besides the actual observations. We spend a couple hours in small groups or listening to presentations that I have not gotten much value out of so far. Hopefully this will improve. I also have a state test this weekend on my knowledge of the things English teachers should know. In seeing the practice test, I predict a spectacular failure on this. We'll see, but I'm not at all optimistic.

A bit of a downer post, to reflect my mood over the past week or so. But I keep fighting through it. Eventually we'll get back on the upswing.

Until next time.

Ace

4 comments:

Robin said...

I think you'll enjoy middle school so much better. There will always be those troubled kids but it will much different.

Good Luck with it!

Ace said...

Thx for the encouragement. I'm hopeful but don't want to be unrealistic, I'm sure there will still be plenty of issues.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bones,

Have you gotten results of your content exam yet? I don't get a chance to read your blog very often with my own mid-life chaos, but am always wondering how life is in your world.

I'll back up Nadine on her post... Middle school can be really rewarding and exciting!... in the fall, that is.. when spring rolls around watch out, they get crazy!

Be patient with the high school experience as well. Look for the slightly less "seasoned" teachers in the teacher's lounge and watch how they interact with students (in the halls and common areas as well as the classroom). You'll find DRASTICALLY different classroom management techniques that will likely fit your personal style more closely. While your hair IS getting a bit gray, you are far from a grandma, Grandpaw :) I'm guessing (like most schools) there is a cool teacher/coach that had a good rapport with the students who you can watch for an example of how to better connect.

Good luck. Later Bro

Ace said...

Sorry just getting to this slurp, I usually don't go back many posts but happened to tonight. Thx for the words of encouragement. I think I'm just going to chalk the high school experience up to being stuck with just one teacher and some very difficult classes.

No results yet on the content test that I failed. I can hardly wait. Hope to see you soon.